Ever since I tried out Nigella’s flour-free Chocolate Olive Oil Cake, which uses ground almonds in place of flour, I’ve been on a hunt for other alternatives. And not only for health reasons – my house was bereft of every kind of flour imaginable. Except couscous, which isn’t exactly a flour unless you grind it into one…
As always, I googled a recipe to see if someone else snapped up the idea before me, which they did. No surprise there. Since Shernell Cooke already had a recipe using the very ingredients I wanted to use (see here), I decided to make a similar version.
The recipe is versatile – I used the fruit I had on hand: frozen berries and bananas which were reserved for the smoothie I never got around to making.
1 1/2 cups couscous
1 cup frozen Hillcrest berries
1 cup frozen bananas
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup honey
60ml olive oil😨
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 t salt
1. Grind the couscous until it has a flour-like consistency.
2. In a bowl, combine the baking soda, baking powder, cardamom and flour.
3. Chop up the frozen fruit into tiny pieces and add, along with the yoghurt and oil.
4. In a separate bowl, combine honey, water and vanilla essence and add to flour mixture, then combine.
5. Spoon into an oiled muffin pan and bake at 180C for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.